Monday, April 04, 2005

Well, that wasn't so bad

A beautiful day. A day without much wind, with warm sun and flat water. Unfortunately, a day with river flow well over 67000. Therefore, a day inside.

Considering that, today wasn't so bad. A little work in the tanks helps everyone, once in awhile. Also, the guys want to continue to life through the season, so an opportunity to throw the weights around can't be all bad either.

The river is heading slowly down. We'll be on land again tomorrow, and we'll spend time in the tanks again, and the guys can lift again. (Don't worry, if you take it easy, nobody will get injured. I preferred lifting like that in school.) I'm assuming the river will still be too high on Wednesday, and I'll give Wednesday off for them to play basketball. I just hope nobody adds themselves to my ever-growing injury list.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw Jay, come on, you know that by wednesday it will be rowable, and we'll miss out on B-ball again. Why not just shoot some hoops tommarow? Well...what-ev' see ya'll tommarow, full kit. (B-ball jersey all)
-Miguel

Anonymous said...

You know basketball sounds like a great time, but I'm sure no ones going to be to good. It's going to be a very small scoring game.

Second as mad as I was not playing today. I think spending it in the tanks was worth the time.

Anonymous said...

Mikey I wont be there tomorrow. Thats why we're waiting till Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Joe told the girls they will be going out tomorrow. It would be nice if he is right, is that even realistic at all?

Anonymous said...

If I am not mistaken, Joe bases his line-ups by erg score...

Just food for thought.

Skaylese I don't like you ratting on our b-ball skills. Krack and Phil are street ballas, and Dave is the next Yao Ming. To quote the famous MV "Dave got drafted by the Houston Rockets two years ago but never picked up his layover flight in Pittsburgh."

About the Camping:
Scouts are appreciated, I have no clue how to camp but I'm sure we can manage.
Does anyone know if Moraine has grills? If so, I suggest we bring some food, charcoal, and the single most important ingredient, lighter fluid.
I got my sleeping bag, I'm ready for some Monster Truck Rally and some MAD night ops.
It would be appreciated if you all would let me know how many plan on camping out so that we can provide the proper facilities. I would also like to know who is bringing the camera(s).

Anonymous said...

If we're going up to moraine this weekend, bring your bikes. Jay, if not wednesday, then this weekend I'll show you my skilz.

Anonymous said...

I'm so in for camping...Jay, are we going to be at Morraine both Satruday and Sunday, or just Saturday? Someone's bringing Boulderdash, and Mikey, I'll try and get my bike up there too...so stoked for camping, can't wait.

Anonymous said...

I love having blow off classes with computers in them

Anonymous said...

Steve, night opps sounds great, especially since I am half ninja nad 2/5 Viking. Yeah, thats right.

Anonymous said...

i meant and not nad

Anonymous said...

Guys,

Apparently nobody thought to check this before, but you just can't camp out in Moraine State Park. You have you use a designated group camping area, which requires a reservation (which you have to pay for). Also, the campgrounds may or may not even be open. So for those of you who want to camp out, you'd better convince Dr. B pretty fast. I also hope you guys have some parent chaperones willing to spend the night up there too, because were'll all under 18 (ok, bethany doesn't count).

You need to do your homework on these things, guys, they just don't happen by themselves. Oh, and yes, Steve, the campsites do have grills.

Anonymous said...

Meh, we still got the parking lot...if no camp grounds, I'll be in my car.

Anonymous said...

i hope you have room for me dave.

Anonymous said...

Foxbat-
first let me start off by saying, thanks mom! and second off all, if we have a tent in the parking lot, were just extending our cars.

Anonymous said...

No problem, son.

I was just trying to help you out a little, and I don't care what you decide to do.

Hey, if we could get an RV then we really would just be in the parking lot...hmmm

Anonymous said...

Foxbat is trying to playa hate on our agenda, we camp whereva we feel!

Anonymous said...

Guys, Give Foxbat some slack. He is doing something called PLANNING AHEAD. We all know teenage boy "do wa they want" but if we go up to moraine without permission to camp there, you all are going to be very pissed and we will here each other whine like prissy little B*@#%s for every weekend until nationals.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I was not finished, I accidentally posted.

We all know how much crap we had to go through just to bring are boats up to the park, and I have camped in many a state run recreational area, and they get pretty uptight about there rules. And the comment about the police. A fish and wildlife officer has just as much power as a badge toting state trooper. So if we do go up their with out a permission, they will ask us to move, and we can't b*tch and moan because the are cops. Like it or not they have guns and more power than any teenage boy.

Also I know I have posted before about not reprimanding a team member in front of the whole world but frankly you all guys posts on camping are a bit niece and immature. Great idea we just need to think it through all the way. That is what I think Foxbat
is trying to tell you guys

Coach Jay said...

Fellas,

Settle.

IF (and that's a big if) a Moraine weekend happens and you want to camp, we can look into it THROUGH CHANNELS.

As you might expect, your parents would want to know who's the responsible one there. I might be persuaded, if I knew I wasn't walking into a mess. Let's find out about weather or not we're going up there.

Anonymous said...

Sorry,
I got bit huffy. But I get angry when people, in general, don't think ahead, then things get f-ed up and the compline like someone has comitted the worst crime against humanity.

Sorry, just venting

Anonymous said...

If we want to camp at Moraine, we can pretty much obviously only camp in designated areas, of which there are only two in the whole park. It also costs money to reserve a campsite: $26 for 20 people or less, $37 dollars for 21-40 people. Campsite reservations can be made by calling 1-888-PA-PARKS anytime from 7am-5pm. You can pay with a credit card (but they don't take AmEx).

Of the two campsites, Muskrat Cove is the closest to the area where we launch the boats from. We are assuming from the map that there is parking at the campsite itself because there was a labeled road going to it.

We called the timing pretty close on this one. You can make reservations up to two days in advance by calling the number above, but if you don't call by 5pm Thursday then you have to call the park directly. We can get you that number if you need it. Also, the parks open on the second Friday in April. We got lucky on that- that's this Friday. So the campsites will have been open for only one day if we go. We also would want to take into consideration the possibility that someone else already reserved the site(s).

Some rules we found:
Pyrotechnics are illegal
Streaking (or any nudity, actually) is prohibited
Making a lot of noise is prohibited (they couched that regulation in a lot of bureau-speak)
Leaving food out so that it will attract animals is prohibited. This is something we should probably be concerned about. Animals can smell food a long ways away and will come right into camp to get it if they do.
Fires can only be in grills or fireplaces. Leaving a fire unattended is "strictly prohibited". Joe says that you can get into a lot of trouble for messing around with fires because Rangers are picky about that.

If you call to make reservations, Jay, you might want to ask about water and/or bathrooms. We were not able to ascertain with any certainty at this time what the facilities at the campsite are. Finding out about running water would be important, because if there is not any it is going to be a pain to haul in enough water.

As a team we qualify as a "youth group." We could not find any mention of chaperones for youth groups, but we are assuming that a few will be necessary. We don't want to get up there and find out that they will not let us camp out. Once the reservation is made we are assuming that they will give us more information.

If you need anything further let one of us know. Otherwise, see you on Friday.

~K. Altman and J. Buckley

We owe these boys big for researching this stuff. I'm still up for putting up with you clowns, get it together by thursday at Squaw.