I take pride in being a graduate of Fox Chapel Crew. I take pride to think that I help start the transformation that took place between my Junior and Senior seasons. But the thing that gave me the most pride was knowing that we defied expectations. Our Varsity 8 was small by most standards, with only 2 guys over 180lbs, the rest of the boat teetering on the edge of lightweight. Our stroke was 5’7, a virtual midget in the world of competitive high school rowing. And we had two novices, an anomaly in such a competitive category. We never won a gold metal, or made it to Junior Invites, but every time we raced we left it all on the course and we knew that each and every guy was doing the same thing. Although I didn’t see the race this weekend I got a play by play from Jay. I can understand loosing because your trying too hard, flying up the slide or flying and dying. But because of lack of effort, that’s just pathetic. You took a whole length off the start, and lost by over 4. I don’t think I need to go into any more detail about what happened, but I think that you all need a wake up call; things don’t come easy any more. Jay has always said the men’s varsity 8 is the most competitive, and with that comes the most glory. No one can have glory with out heart. The next two weeks will be the most important of the whole season. There are no excuses for what happened today, you still have a lot to prove and less and less time to do it.
1 comment:
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition; And gentlemen in Fox Chapel, now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon this day…"
Just a quick this day in history for you: Willam Shakespeare was born today.
Post a Comment