Thursday, April 07, 2005

Perhaps this is a good idea after all

The normal reaction to most adults whenever a teenager comes up with an idea is dismissive. When the guys started talking about a campout this weekend for our practice trip to Moraine, I wasn't too thrilled with the idea. Fifteen to twenty teenage boys camping out. Sounds like an invitation to trouble, right? The stories I could tell about my own campout experiences only give a starting point to the havoc that many guys could create. I'll let Emily tell the July 4th camp out story from hell later.

However, the more I thought about it, the less hesitation I had. Emily and Will are gone for the weekend, so my schedule is free to chaperone. Jesse seems brave enough to come along as another stabilizing influence, and it might be a good team-building exercise. I don't expect all the guys to come along, but I hope most do. The park only just opened, so there hopefully won't be any other groups there for us to disturb and there won't be any girlfriends there either.

What's the worst that can happen? (I know, stupid question.)

With the water still up and no drop in sight, I'm assuming we're going to Moraine. With camping, we can only get plenty rows in. I guess I'd better get extra gas for the launches. Crack of dawn practice, anyone?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome.

Coach Jay said...

Well, now the ladies are joining us. I'm glad to hear they are going to bring two chaperones of their own. I hope at least one is a mom.

Anonymous said...

sweet, lets ponder

Anonymous said...

I think "Perhaps this is a good idea after all" sounds as if it could end up in the category of famous last words along with such phrases as "Hey, watch this!" and "S@$%, I did NOT see that coming!". I just don't think camping is the best idea, but if you guys want to do it, I'll support you all the way. I just think it could turn into another row-a-thon, except this time we would have school the next day. I decided not to post this anonymously so some people could spend some time tearing this apart if they feel like it.

Coach Jay said...

Foxbat:

I think I may agree with you.....famous last words.

Guys, remember to be there at 10am on Saturday. See the FCrew website for directions if you need them.