June 1998. The bleary morning after the worst loss by Yale to Harvard in recent memory. 47 agonizing, punishing, eternal seconds. The sophomores, juniors and seniors gathered in the caretaker's house, in the ancient, tradition-laden "Blue Room," to elect the next Captain of Yale Crew. Before our deliberations began, the outgoing Captain, Jon Watling, explained the process. All juniors were dismissed from the room while their names were considered for the post. Once an individual was eliminated, they would then be called to join in the deliberations. The purpose was to trim the field down to two or three canidates and reach a consensus. While a vote could be taken, it was preferred to be by acclimation.
The juniors that year were a powerful group, the true leaders of the team, on the water and off. They knew their abilities had been discounted in the weeks before the boat race by the head coach, who never really formed a bond with that class. By removing long-time stroke Alex Reid from his normal position and placing Jon Watling in that critical seat, Dave Vogel had placed his trust in one of only two men in the Varsity to win against Harvard over the 4 mile distance. The crew had rallied around the new line-up, wanting to believe. Half a mile into the race, the decision had proved disastrous as the Yale rhythm degenerated into a thrashing, flailing, rushed mess.
Our deliberations that morning had brought the field down to a handful. Hans Von Trotha and myself were the last two called in before the final duo of Alex Reid and Jim Needham. Both were worthy choices. Alex's rowing ability, years in the varsity and training commitment were exemplary. While he had a personality described by some crew groupies as "a cute puppy dog," Alex was popular, respected and a natural leader by example. Jim Needham was more vocal, always ready to talk to anyone. His rowing ability was not as polished as Reid's, and he had not been in the varsity that boat race due to Vogel's questioning of his fitness. Needham was more mature than Reid and everyone agreed that he would be a great, vocal captain.
Given the deliberations and mood of the crew, the post eventually would have gone to Reid. Popular with the ladies around campus, Alex's (now) unquestioned ability in the stroke seat made him a natural choice as the next Yale captain. Everyone knew who the next Yale stroke would be, and it would be a logical move to combine that unofficial yet vital leadership position with the office.
However, Jon Watling chose to interject at this juncture. Asking for the floor, Watling spoke of a conversation he had with Dave Vogel, in which he said the captain should be someone whose commitment and training were exemplary. Jon also mentioned that Vogel wanted a captain who he could "work with." The meaning was clear: Reid was Vogel's choice, and Watling hoped to end debate there.
The mood in the room chilled. After Jon was through speaking, there was a short silence. Everyone in the room had heard of Vogel's comment to those in his launch following the race the day before: "Well, I guess that didn't work," referring to the switch of Reid out of the stroke seat. When the crew had lost a very close race the year before, we had blamed ourselves. After this embarrassing debacle, I don't believe I was the only oarsman blaming our coach.
With this comment, the tide began to turn against Alex Reid. Comments supporting Needham began to persist, and a few more attempts to steer Reid into the post by Watling only hurt his chances more. Surprisingly, the issue came to a vote, and Jim Needham was elected the next Captain of Yale crew.
Alex Reid was crushed. After being demoted out of the stroke seat, he was now turned down by his teammates for a cherished leadership position.
Jim Needham went on to become a superlative Captain: under his leadership and with Alex Reid at stroke, the Yale varsity won the next year's 4 mile race against Harvard, coming from behind in the final mile. They have not won since.
I am happy to count both of these men my friends, and I fervently hope that recounting this tale here so publicly does not hurt either of them. I write this to illustrate a point.
Coaches should never be involved with the election of a team's captain. The greatest level of involvement might be to tabulate the votes. Interjecting Dave Vogel's opinion into our debate, after botching the race so completely, only poisoned the canidacy of Alex Reid, a good man who could also have been a great captain.
Oarsmen rarely have a choice in their equipment, workout system, technique taught, regatta schedule or coaching staff. Their only outlet for expression and representation in the system is their captain. For that reason, I offer no guidance in the selection of captains. The oarsmen must deliberate and choose their representatives for themselves, for whatever reasons or personality traits they believe are important. The coach's job is simple: to respect his crew by respecting and listening to their captain.
Categories: Yale, Memories, Teamwork, Coaching, Rowing, Motivational
21 comments:
Jay,
I understand your point, that you do not see it right for the coach to be involved with captain elections. However, I see a large difference between the story you just told and the election we are currently involved with. You and your teammates were college students, trained to think critically about everything, and had more experience with leading your peers and being lead by your peers and elections in general (seeing as all of you were old enough to vote) compared to our team. Most of us can barely write a coherent essay (myself included) let alone understand what we need in a leader or who shows those qualities we need. Also the oarsmen who were deliberating in your story were older than one of our coaches.
Yes, we are all smart kids who can get buy (for the most part) on our own and are being taught how to think critically and analyze a situation and make an educated, well thought out decision, but I think a little bit of guidance would not hurt. We are not quite as mature as an Ivy League rowing team (Yet!)
We don't want you saying who you want to be captain, just a little direction.
P.S. This post was not meant to be a personal attack on any person or group, just a simple critique on high school students in general.
And sorry for the length.
“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers”
That dude posts that add in thousands of blogs a day. I wonder if that pays off at all?
Anyway, glad to find a blog dedicated to a sport I also participated in in college, though never on the level of your teams I know! :)
too bad nintendo sucks
Anonymous 1-
While we haven't reached the maturity level of an Ivy league junior, I do believe that every man on this squad has the analytical ability to make a decision such as this one. I believe that a rower needs to consider a number of issues, the first of which being the moral integrity of the elect. I would hate to have a captain whose choices would be corrupt. Next, and obviously, a captain needs to have a steller leadership ability. Finally, my captain must be to down to earth and on the same level as the other rowers. We've had good luck with that for the last 2 years, but there are guys on our squard that would float with their ego into the clouds. This is how I feel about what we need as a captain and I guess I did a rant about the kind of captain I would like. But all in all, I think we ARE mature and experienced enough to successfully elect a 2005-2006 captain.
Ok, I am the first anonymous and my comment was more concerning our younger guys. We are lucky to have a team stacked with responsible and honorable young men, I love them to pieces, but I want to make sure they are not being followers. MY point was that some may have never elected a captain and might not know what to look for. Your list was perfect, exactly what I want in the captains of FCCC.
We are mature enough to make the decision. While else would we be voting? However, you cannot make a decision unless you know what you are looking for. I trust the decision the guys make, as long as they use some type of criteria to choose their leader.
I have said too much and am just going to get people mad at me. If anyone wishes to talk to me more contact me (God knows I'm not doing anything).
I agree with that post much more so than your first. No offense to Jay whatsoever, but we are picking our team captains. Concurring with Jay's post, I don't think that Jay should play any part in that. Not because he wouldn't make a good decision, because we all no he would, but because we are picking them to lead us. You can't just be assigned a position of leadership. Everyone sees something different that they want in a captain. This is why the coach's point of view isn't always the point of view of everyone on the team. Also, for some of the younger members and perhaps even some of the older ones as well, having a coach's opinion could be a huge swing. This is not a time to do something because everyone else is doing. This is definately a pick someone who you believe would be a great leader time, no matter what your definition of that may be.
True that brother. Drew, you are so much more consice and articulate than I am. Kodos
Apparently that's how the girls team operates though. I believe Joe picks the captains there if I'm not mistaken.
I hate the divide we have between our men's and women's teams, but I must say, I really can't wait to see how Napolean does at the helm of a team with less than half a million novices.
Yeah I like our system better.
My understanding of their system is that the girls still vote, but just to make sure that it is in line with who he thinks should be captain. I am not sure what he does if the two opinions do not agree.
And to Anon, there probably going to be another half million novices that show up a camp and once again he will pick the cream of the crop. What is going to be interesting is to see with what he does with the 40+ girls already on the team. Stay tuned...
Careful with your commentts: you never know whose reading.
Maybe we can start posting in foreign languages then..... like Tagalog?
I believe you meant "who's" as in "who is," not "whose" as in possession.
I looked at the men's squad web site the other day. Whom ever is incharge of it, whether or not it see activity, that line about central is really classless. You need to take that line off or, better yet, shut down the entire site.
I did not know we had a site (other than this). I believe that is a rouge teammate, but if it does say that and have our name that person better take it down.
To the anonymous most directly above me: I am assuming that you are not referring to this site. However, if you are, please let us know which part you are referring to.
From my perspective (and Jay or Jesse are welcome to contradict me), all comments that viewers of the blog, be they FC rowers, parents, other friends or simply visitors, are allowed so long as there is no profanity or "hate crime" language (by this I mean hateful, inappropriate remarks directed at groups, such as women, minorities, homosexuals, or religious groups).
Occasional crude comments make me cringe, but then the average reader of this blog is 16 and a boy, so what can I expect?!
Emily, guys have feelings too.
We don't need no hating.
Steve, I was referring to some of your cruder, non-hateful statments, the ones that make the mother in me go, "Now Boys..."
~E
E~,
this web site is only to bash...yeah you know. I was referring to the web site http://www.fcbandofbrothers.8m.com/
I think it reflects poorly on our entire squad, not just the character lacking rower who decided to write that.
Hmmm, I didn't know about that site.... I guess we all will now.
I agree that the comment is not in the greatest of taste, but I also believe that it has been there since last fall, if I am thinking of the same comment as you.
Post a Comment