Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Meet the parents, part II

Here's another reason crew parents rock. They don't pester the coach.

If you've read any sort of news over the last few years, you know what I mean. Some of you may have seen these sort of parents at other events. You know what I'm talking about: the parent overinvolved with their kid's sporting experience, shouting pointers from the stands and in the coach's ear about more playing time, different position or why junior's future scholarship and million-dollar contract is being put in jepardy by that idiot on the sideline. No, not his kid, the coach.

You just don't hear about this in rowing. It's great. Parents trust the coach completly. Heck, I have to beg the parents of my guys to contact me. At this point, I sometimes think I don't hear from them enough. I want to know how the boys are dealing with the physical pressures at home, if they're eating enough or getting homework done. I want to know if the parents are concerned about anything.

I suppose parents aren't as "enthusiastic" because few have ever rowed. We've been talking about a parent's rowing camp over the summer for awhile now, but few parents have ever pulled on an oar, much less raced a boat.

Selection for various boats is really an art form. Erg scores do matter, but other less measureable skills are also in consideration. Attendance, attitute, technique and ability to improve all go into my pot to be stirred and considered for selection. Add in the multiple events that we can enter, and you've got some thinking and experimenting to do. Where parents might see the process as subjective, there usually is some science to my methods.

That's why we seat race. I have to know who's moving boat and who can battle for the long term.

Wow, this post is wandering. What the devil am I trying to say?

--I would love to hear from the parents more. I know you all have questions that aren't being answered by your boys. Contact me, I'd love to enlighten you.

--If there is enough interest, I'd be willing to coach a "parent's tank session" for those who would like a better idea of what thier kids are doing.

--Selection is an inexact art that a coach tries to inject science into. However, I'm constantly thinking about it (ask Emily) and I'm always looking for the fastest boat.

Finally, I welcome a limited amount of input from the rowers, once I decide what boats we will concentrate on. That should be in the next week. Shameless lobbying on your own behalf won't be appreciated. However, if there's something you think I've missed, please bring it up. Remember, we're looking for speed for the whole team.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has been brought to my attention that the women's team go through something that could be diagnosed as "boat attachment." Honestly, I love the idea of having a boat stick together. I also love going fast. When my second love (going fast) is impeded upon by my first love (having a boat stick together), I have no choice but to side with my second. I love going fast. That is more than likely the number one reason I row. I will pull for whoever is in my boat, and I hope they would do the same for me. What I am trying to say is that people on our team need to put aside friendship (for lack of a better stating), and pull for the team. Aren't we all friends on the team anyways? I live and die with you guys. Let's pull for the greater good, let's pull for the Band of Brothers.
(sorry about the off-topic-ness, but I think stuff needed to be said.)

Anonymous said...

If i would have to choose between rowing in a boat with those brazilian chicks that do the Victoria Secret modeling or rowing with you ugly guys and going to nationals...I'd choose speed, always room for one more gold medal on my bed post.

Anonymous said...

apparently those chicks are pretty fast, if you know what im sayin...

Anonymous said...

i think that it is important to prioritize. There is no need for seat racing and a "fast boat" to ruin the character and the friendship on the team i love going fast don’t take me wrong but i love being a good person way more. If all this is just going put stress on me and bring out things that i do not want to be about then there something wrong...so i just have a request that evryone remember not to put your person, your friends in jeopardy just for a "fast boat"....i think i would rather have a "good boat"(one with good people)thats all... other than that pull hard for me

Anonymous said...

I base my friendships on character, not on rowing ability. I'll still love you even if we aren't in the same boat.

Anonymous said...

ditto