Yes, the lost skeg today was my fault. I saw that log when I was going up the channel to get on the finish line. My launch slave of the day even suggested that we get it out of the way. I didn't stop.
I didn't stop because I knew the first piece would start soon. I didn't stop because I assumed the coxswains would see the log and steer around. I didn't even warn the boats about it, because I was too far away.
Dumb, dumb, dumb. After putting the guys through torture yesterday moving a 500lb water soaked tree out of the channel, I didn't bother with a six foot stick. Therefore, Murphy's law swam up from the channel and bit me in the well, you know.
All things considered, I should be happy. The damage to the Vixen is minimal, and Dr. B and I will take some time to repair it back to pristine condition. If this were a race situation, we could have rowed the boat, but we're not in that situation yet. It should be fixed by Tuesday.
So go easy on the cox. I didn't honor my own responsibility and now I've got to help fix the boat.
10 comments:
Thanks for the 6x500s.
There will be a present for you soon. Have no unpleasant feelings.
thanks a lot jay, i really appreciate that
Getting back in the 8+ will be enough of a present for me.
Yey, I like to row in the 8!
mmm 8
In light of the events occurring yesterday (friday), I would like to re-address the coxing situation(s).
To the Coxswains:
Alright, Jay says he was wrong, I'm over it.
This is no way entitles you to talk about random crap in the boat. I don't want to hear about "how sweet [your] car is." First, because it isn't sweet. Second, because it in no way aides the boat to go faster. I don't want to hear about Jack Johnson concerts, nor Mitch Hedberg (R.I.P.) tickets. Your job is to steer the boat on the fastest course, and to tell the rowers what to do. They have to listen to everything you say. Stop taking that privelige for granted.
To the rowers:
Shut the hell up. If you have something to say to the coxswain, tackle him in the conference room, slap him across the face and tell him. No, don't. But seriously, take it like a man. "Don't go out like a punk bitch" and yell back at him (or her). You are in the boat for one reason, to pull on the oar as hard as you can, utilizing the proper technique. If you are not completing that task to what the coxswain believes is your full extent, it is the coxswains job to tell you what you need to be doing. For Example: power 10/20s, catch earlier, you're late, kirk you're late, kirk you're late, kirk you're late...
In Short...
Coxswains: Be terse and concise.
Rowers: Pull hard and shut up.
Alright, duly noted. And I do realize that my unrelated banter is distracting to the rowers, but my mentality prior to yesterdays(fridays) events was that: during the race shut the f up and make sure they are only hearing you talk constantly, about the row. after the race/piece had finished, we could b.s. around to relax. that was obviously skewed. from now own, i will only comment on the row. if a subject that happens to be unrelated comes up, ill turn off the mic to single out the person im talking to, not the whole boat. also, if a rower does have a problem with the subject of my conversation in the boat, i would like them to adress me in a clam, mature manner, as a number of others did yesterday(friday). i hope this is the last we will ever have to talk about this again, but im glad we were able to discuss this.
one more thing, i talked with a rower last night and i completly understand where youre all coming from now too. i can see how it would get annoying.
Post a Comment