Monday, March 28, 2005

Chapter 1

A year Ago the Men’s team of the Fox Chapel Crew Club underwent a drastic change, the addition of a new coach, a novice who would go on to beat the varsity, and a new vitality was awakened with in the rowers. Throughout that season those men went on to accomplish feats that had never been dreamed of in seasons prior to that. Not only did they win the first point trophy ever won by the men, in club history, they won two. Not only did the novices put a beat down on every one else’s novices, but beat their Junior Varsity too. Not only did they sent the first ever men’s boat to the finals at The Midwest Scholastic Rowing Championships, they sent three. And after they had accomplished all of that, they still sent the first ever boat from Fox Chapel to the National Championships and placed in the top 10 in the nation.
This is only a taste of what you all can achieve; Each one of you has endured physical pain and triumphed. You have been pushed to you mental limits and prevailed. The work you have done over the winter is harder than any other team that you will face. Do not let that work go for not. As this season begins, remember where this team has come from. A coach once told me “Fox Chapel will be the fastest crew in Pittsburgh” that time has come and gone, I say “Fox Chapel will be one of the fastest crews in the Nation” Last year was only Chapter 1. You have begun Chapter 2, how will it end?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay-
Your Last sentence is one of the most incitful things i've ever ready. also, there is no doubt in my mind well prove that statement true!

Anonymous said...

"posted by jesse the coaches consultant"

Anonymous said...

Jesse, I have not had a chance to formally thank you for the example you set last year and my freshman year. You made crew for me what it is now. You showed me, especially my freshman year when no varsity guys cared (and there were 2 novice rowers), that if you take the sport seriously it will take you far. So I did. I listened to all criticisms that came my way and tried to improve my "game".

Last year I also learned copious amount about the sport of rowing but also about determination and will to spit in pain's face and pull hard. You may not have been aware, but during 6x500 and hour pieces there was a boy, your coxswain, on an erg behind you watching and socking up how you rowed, led, and cared for every one of your teammates. Through your example I was able to become a better coxswain and hopefully make the boat move faster by learning how to encourage the boat, correct the boat, and respect the men in the boat for all they did for each other.

As anyone could tell I was beginning to out grow my position as coxswain. Your example of working hard, no matter what, t gain for yourself and the team pushed me over the edge to start rowing. I am honored to be able to use the lessons and skills I learned from the Varsity guys of the past two years to begin to physically help move a boat. And I hope I am continuing to, like you, make all the teammates around me better.
I was a part of Chapter 1 and I want to help make Chapter 2 a tale for the ages.

Thank you for leading by example.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Guys. I forgot the most importatn part of what I have learned.

Weigh enough, salute in two. One... Two...

"We few, We Happy Few, We Band of brothers"

Anonymous said...

sorry jesse, im oblivious. but it was none the less an excellent quote. "Them college boys really know hows to talk.

Anonymous said...

will do

Anonymous said...

Nationals, yo quiero.