My senior year, first varsity 8+ ever to race at the Midwest Scholastic Rowing Championships, our goal to qualify for the finals we miss it by .84 less than a bow ball <>
Spring 2005-My first stint helping out with the team we go to Midwest with high hopes, first the lights jump a foot stretcher and miss qualifying by less than a second, then the next day the JV come .34 seconds away from catching a very fast St. Mary’s crew at the line (Not to take anything away from an over all great performance)
Summer 2005-Where to begin, first a blond headed rower, who will remain unnamed, decides to test the effect of a log on bow of the Volpe, the results were not good. Latter a coxin finds the cement block on the bottom of the channel with her skeg. Then to top it all off, the campers think it will be “funny” to flip not one but both of their 8+’s
Fall 2005- Everyone remembers the infamous urine incident. We’ll leave it at that! Then our varsity coxswain forgets about the 1000lb steel green boiy that DOESN’T MOVE and try’s to close line it with a rigger. Then my novice 8+ has a wheel explode 1000m into a 5000m race! And last but certainly not least, today’s little incident, to flip a 4+ is not something you see every day. Let me rephrase that, something I though I would never be a part of. I guess I was wrong.
But in all seriousness today was a freak incident. If any one is responsible for what happened it is me as the coach. That being said, every ones response was immaculate. Looking back on the situation nothing could have been changed to make the recovery effort run more smoothly. Every one responded in a very mature manner and stepped up and made the whole thing run more smoothly. I guess our luck has to change eventually……Right?
Categories: Memories, Coaching, Rowing
7 comments:
No luck is better than bad luck. But I'm not sure if I really believe in luck, other than the lottery or slot machines.
We have definately flipped a 4+ before...
I was in that boat.
along with a motorola cell phone and an ipod
Jess, I thought you were asleep! :p
It's sweet to see people respond who i dont know. And whered you come from Wes, if thats really you?
Sorry that was me, not wes. I don't think wes actually reads the blog. But he was in that four.
Post a Comment