I really got burned as the years went by on this blog. The first intention I had was a simple way to write my thoughts down for my high school crew. I think the mistake was to keep it public for anyone to see and comment on. Later on, my (now ex) wife started making her own posts and sending the link around the internet. The posts I wrote started becoming less about rowing and more about me. The irony is that she subpoenaed a lot of my internet writing during our divorce, including this blog, yet later started her own "mommy blog" as a money-maker with sponsors. No, I won't supply the link.
So here we are, with what I hope will be a better way of communicating. This format, while very early 2000s, forces more structure around a conversation. Allowing anonymous comments hopefully will give folks a way to really let loose with what they feel.
I met today with the Nakul and the two VPs. A lot of suggestions went back and forth across the table at Waffle House. I'm glad Liza took some notes so I can try to address everything over the next few days.
First off, the new attendance and injury policies. If you miss a practice, for any reason, I need that practice made up on the ergs and a picture sent to me and Rodd. You will not be boated until I see that erg pic. For example, Rachel is gonna "owe" us a few trips on the machine because of her unscheduled bicycle-based nose job. I am aware she is coming this afternoon to paddle around in a single, but that's not replacing the workout.
The injury policy needs a bit more explanation. I chose the 6x500m workout for a very specific reason. The load an erg places on the whole body is different and a little tougher than in a racing 8. I wanted anyone that had missed time due to injury to prove they were capable of the sort of tougher workouts we will expect as the season goes on. By completing that workout, the athlete is declaring herself "ready without reservation" for full work going forward. Seat racing, Gluckmans, everything is on the table for that athlete. Allison sent me her 6x500 last night and will be in the four this afternoon. I expect she will be "clear for combat." If an athlete needs to miss for injury, that workout is your "return to duty" check.
Some of you might have noticed that the Tuesday erg workouts have changed. I would now like to see an hour of steady state on those days. We switched from the Rodd workouts to the 500s because the early water practices were slower with lots of drills. Hannah correctly pointed out that hard sprint intervals could be beneficial during that time. However, we are now transitioning to more interval-based workouts on the water, with less steady, low and long rows. For that reason, switching to steady state is now called for on Tuesdays. Rodd and I also need pictures of those screens as well. You are allowed, as always, to do a river workout on those days. However, unless you have a coach in attendance, you must be off by sundown. I am happy to come on these Tuesdays. The first purpose of Tuesday land workouts revolved around my son; Tuesdays were the only day during the week I had with him. Since the semester started, my personal schedule with him has changed and so I'm free on those days. I am aware that your schedules probably haven't changed and thus I haven't moved to switch our schedule around. But if a group would like to row on Tuesdays, I'd be eager and happy to be there.
The workouts over the next few days have been posted. As you all can see, we are transitioning from lots of drills to working on skills at higher rates. I'm still concerned with square-up and catch timing. Please emphasize these transition moments in your thoughts. Tonight especially, the ratings are designed for positive initial outcomes to carry over into the next races. Concentrate on just one race at a time and bring strong mental focus on those entries to the water.
Finally, as you can see, seat racing is beginning again next week. Initially, focus will be on selection for the top boat, an 8. I'm hopeful we can do this in 8s, but if not, I'll make lineups for the 4s. It's not an optimal situation, but I don't have control over the numbers. However, I want to add a new feature to seat racing this year:
Call Outs
Think you can take that other athlete you've been eyeballing? Well, here's your chance. Send me, however you want, who you want a shot at. Text, email, whatever. I will try to make it happen. Now, understand that a close result probably won't immediately create a lineup change. You're gonna need to beat her clearly. Most seat races I want to repeat at some point as well.
What is the boat after the 8? I don't know. I do believe the best outcome, for everyone, would be a second 8, but that is yet to be determined. I'll write more on this subject later. For now, I'll try to see you in the dark and cold tonight.
1 comment:
Didn't paddle once.
Post a Comment