Saturday, April 08, 2006

Pitt Crew travels very well

When Bowl games are decided at the end of the college football season, one of the criteria in play is how well a team "travels." Do the fans show up for that team? Does that team bring a lot of weight with it?

Pitt crew travels really well. We've got great parents that work hard to feed and even house the kids whenever we come over in the Philly area. This keeps costs down, and I think also keeps the kids out of a bit of possible trouble. Hotels full of other teams just give too many opportunities for silliness, but a another parent's house brings out the best behavior in an athlete.

Unfortunately, Pitt crew really travels well. Meaning, we bring Pittsburgh weather with us.

This sport can do quite well in 38 degree weather. Rain is also something that can be endured. Mixing the two really poses a challenge. Most regattas don't have anyplace for the athletes to shelter out of such conditions and warm back up. My lightweight rowers were turning blue before they launched for races. Their condition wasn't any better when they got off the water here. Adding to the general misery is the condition of the trailer/boat storage area.



The main path towards the dock, an area about 40 meters by 10 meters is a mud pit. There is no way to carry a boat to the dock without walking through ankle-deep mud. Because rowers do not wear sneakers or boots to regattas (these are too slow to remove once in a boat) everyone is in sandals. Thus everyone's feet are covered in icy mud while they wait in line to launch.

The schedule is a disaster. Many events were either cancelled or moved to tomorrow morning. As I write this, there is still not a schedule posted for tomorrow's racing, so I don't know when my team has to be at the course. The mud situation means that I can't get the truck to the trailer tomorrow afternoon, because it's a 2 wheel drive truck. Somebody with tank treads will need to pull us out.

Considering the conditions, I'm happy with how the kids are doing so far. But I'm tried of making the same excuse of lack of practice. It's not their fault or mine, the weather and the "asian bird flu" have really knocked us backward. No matter the outcome of tomorrow's racing, I'm really hopeful about getting some decent practice time with the kids, because Vails are getting close.



Categories: , ,

1 comment:

Coach Jay said...

UPDATE:

The schedule just came out, and to be expected, somebody got screwed. This time, it was the Varsity women's 4. I called the regatta director, and he basically told me to deal.

This is after they hosed down Pitt's light men's 4s by putting them in the same heat, the only time in the regatta that happened.

This is after the light women's 4 was killed by a lunatic floating start, when they were told to start when 35 feet outside their lane, pointed at an island.

I'll leave any other comments un-typed. Anyone who knows me an my temper can imagine my comments out loud right about now.

*cgmxqpep*