This is my third year coaching teams competing in the Head of the Ohio. In 2003, I was too hyped up, having just started coaching, to really complain about dismal timing mistakes. In addition, I was too cold; the weather was terrible and I hadn't started my current collection of foul weather gear. In 2004, I wasn't the only coach to harangue the management of Three Rivers about the timing. The operations manager had a haggard, gun-shy look about him for weeks afterward.
This year was supposed to be different. The same timing company that works the Head of the Charles was here to set the Ohio straight. Everyone knew that attendance at this race was down, partly because of the timing fiascos. From 900 entries in 2003 to just over 530 this year, Three Rivers really needed this race to run smoothly. The weather even cooperated this year. Then came the results.
I mean no disrespect to the South Niagara rowing club. They are talented, fast and well trained. However: a high school varsity coxed 4 isn't capable of navigating a 2.75 mile racecourse in 14:28. Not when varsity 8s are pulling times in the low 14 minute range. That just isn't possible. If that is true, then those boys need to be signed up, right now, to the Canadian Olympic team, because that's faster than anybody in any 4 anywhere.
While Jesse and I were digesting this little bit of news, we noticed the winner of the women's high school singles. I know Suzanne Maddamma. Her talent was apparent this past summer, when she cleaned up at USRowing Nationals. However, if she went 10:28 down that course, then people on shore would have noticed the rooster tail of water the wake of her boat would have produced. The results were later corrected, but I want to know what (moron) official signed off on that result in the first place. What is even more lunatic is the fact, admitted by Suzanne, that she got passed in her race.
As I write this, a time still has not been posted for the Fox Chapel heavy men, who raced in the open 8 event. Everyone on the course saw them, they had a bownumber and the club has a receipt for the (ridiculous) entry fee. However, no time. I expect they came in 4th, after Cornell 8, based upon their time trials. How do I know what the time was? How could I trust that time if it ever emerges?
The FC lightweights did well, with a 14:23. On par with time trials, a good race. There's still boat speed to be found there, and I'll continue to try some things out.
I'm very pleased with the performance of Pittsburgh's light 4s. Both men and women pulled second place finishes, after multiple races earlier in the day. There is still a lot of work to be addressed whenever the Pitt guys get into an 8. Losing to a high school shouldn't be acceptable to any college oarsmen, anywhere. The open 4 left a little to be desired; I want to never, ever lose to Duquesne or any other Pittsburgh-based crew. Just call me a little competitive.
The pairs. The pairs. The pairs need work.
I'm writing this now, so there will be a record. Any crew I'm associated with should not return to this race next year. The entry fees were un-capped, so many crews paid $1000 for the right to row the course and have the results screwed up for the third year in a row. The regatta ran late, on a beautiful, calm day. I can only imagine the Cornell team getting off the bus in Ithaca sometime this morning. Three Rivers was still scrambling for launch drivers the day before the regatta, while docking a "Stewards Enclosure" at the finish line in an attempt to squeeze more money out of the race. Fellows, news flash: There is only one "Stewards Enclosure" worth the name anywhere in the world, and you have to earn your way into that one.
This may be a "home" race, but it seems more comfortable to travel on this weekend next year.
Categories: Regattas, Rowing, Pitt, FC, Coaching
6 comments:
Jay, I think you know that as long as there is a Head of the Ohio in Pittsburgh, Fox Chapel Crew will race in it. It may not be a very well run race, but I think it's a good race to get a veteran crew on edge again and introduce the novices to racing without anyone getting overly stressed out. I mean, we all stressed, some more than others, but this isn't exactly Midwest. I have never felt more relaxed going into a race yet at the same time pumped up to be finally racing again.
The convenience of HOTO being a "home" race is very, very valuable.
good point foxbat.
also, It being a "home" race allows the parents to easliy see what there kids are doing. and it introduces the novice to racing without having to wake up at3:00 AM
"sexbzyc"
That being said, it is still more of a hassle than necessary and this year was quite expensive to enter.
Home teams should get a discount for putting up with all the crap.
Actually if you compare the total cost of HOTO to the total cost of say taking the team to, say Speakmon, Speakmon is much, much more expensive. We have to pay, on top of enty fees, food, gas money, and busses (which for 90 kids is not cheap)
ya, but bus rides are sweet, better if we leave school early compared to 3am, but still sweet.
Post a Comment