Saturday, May 31, 2008

Time for a scolding

Three years ago in this space, I snarled at Central Catholic, a crew that (ironically) I would go on to coach, about what I felt was excessive celebration after a match race between Pitt, Fox Chapel and Central. It started a lovely little firestorm, the effects of which I still had to deal with when I started coaching Central later on. Jay Hammond and I had a long talk then and later about what I said, what he thought about it and celebration in rowing in general. Basically, we both think that such spectacles are best reserved for the Olympic Games or serious, major, end-of-season races. And I've tried to teach my crews that point of view over the years.

I was aware of the little stunt the boys of St. Joeseph's Prep pulled at the end of the Stotesbury Cup regatta a few weeks ago. I thought then it was low-class, garbage behavior and I still do. I haven't written about it because I wanted a little time to pass; I wanted to make sure I didn't put something up here in anger that I might later regret. But I've found as I get older, my first reactions are usually what I'm thinking later on. So, here we go:

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here are two. Then I'll add my thousand words anyway.





For those that don't know, here's the gist of it: after winning every other boat they entered, the Prep lightweight boat swam that broom out to their varsity after the varsity won the senior 8 grand final. The varsity got to celebrate with it on the water while they waited to get their medals, posed with the broom with the cup and then carried it back to their boathouse. I find such actions appalling.

Now, don't get me wrong: I've been involved in some very questionable celebrations in the past myself. In 1996, after "sweeping" the Harvard-Yale race, we swam out to the varsity boat and generally acted like idiots. I believe the varsity hadn't beaten Harvard in 11 years. So part of me does understand the reaction of the boys at Prep. They were excited at the accomplishment of their team, and that was a major, significant, noteworthy accomplishment. I give St. Joe's a lot of credit for that accomplishment.

But......

If I was the coach associated with that celebration, I would have been livid. It goes against everything I've ever taught my guys and I can't understand any coach that would be fine with this action. I mean, getting your picture taken with the trophy, your crew and an f'n broom? No, sorry, not me. Take that broom to the boathouse, boys, and sweep out the boat bay with it. I'll collect your medals and the trophy. Then we'll have a little chat about sportsmanship and "pretending that you've been there before." Two weeks ago I believed and still do, that their antics with the broom disrespected their opposition and a historical regatta. It sullied a great team performance, leading the conversation away from what all those athletes accomplished toward what kind of people they are.

To finish my Harvard-Yale story, yes we got a broom out at Gales Ferry. The next morning, we taped it to the flagpole over the boathouse, took a few pictures of it and then took it down. We needed that broom: We had to clean the place out and get it ready to wait until next year's crew moved in.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son attends St. Joseph's Prep. he is a Football Player. The PREP is a great football program. He has no interest in rowing. My daughter who is a freshmen at another school has just enrolled in a course for rowing over the summer. Although I don't get into celebrations, I do understand that most of the population disagrees with me. People love a celebration. I have always gone with the old Joe Paterno quote.....act like you have been there before. I am sure that JoePa stole that line from someone. But in saying all that, please Coach....relax....take a breath. I think that the broom is an oldie but a goodie in most sports, and Crew is just picking up on it. Perhaps my son will look at Crew more closly as a sport that has potential, and not just as an elitest want to be sport!

JW Burk said...

Couldn't agree more. One of the big things rowing always had going for it was that it was one of the few sports that still put a premium on sportsmanship. It would appear that is less and less true every year. While spontaneous celebrations are good, those that require prior planning (having a broom ready to swim out) or time or coordination to accomplish (standing in a boat), are no longer spontaneous and are mocking one's opponents. This includes when winning the Olympics.

BTW, when will coaches and athletes realize that no one cares about, nor wants to see, their children in sports settings unrelated to those children.

Coach Jay said...

I think one reason really forced me to speak out on this more than anything: Three years ago I yelled at a crew that I didn't coach, noting that I didn't appreciate what I called their grandstanding after winning. Then, I ended up coaching that crew.

What sort of low-class hypocrite would I be if I let the antics of St. Joes go by without a comment? Frankly, I owe it to my own crews that I've coached, past and present, to speak out in a way that is consistent with the values I've tried to teach them.

davedeiuliis said...

hey swam in the schuykill? i hope those boys have their shots. Agreed on the broom-terrible sportsmanship. I always thought it was enough to have the opportunity to row to that dock, get out, get your medals and a trophy and pose for a few pictures in from of the grandstand.

Coach Jay said...

I guess it used to be enough. Not anymore.

I'd also like to point out that "Prep" has a reputation of chest-pounding sort of grandstanding. This isn't the first time they've done something silly over the years.

Perhaps they were trying to get on SportsCenter.

davedeiuliis said...

rowing on sportscenter--i would be truly amazed to see it. Anways-as a fellow coach and native pittsburgher (and rower at central catholic when we didn't have enough rowers to grandstand) and as a guy who used to coach some fox chapel kids waaaay back and as a guy who rowed at pitt for a semester--i really enjoy your blog. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Yea Jay good post, its true that its impossible to stress how important sportsmanship and class are. I'm also a huge cycling fan and one of the big reasons that I like it is the respect the guys in the peloton give each other. The stories you hear about two rivals finishing a decisive stage and the loser immediately getting off his bike to congratulate and concede the race to the winner, or like Lance Armstong waiting for Jan Ullirch when he crashed during a stage in 2001 are, in my opinion, some of the best examples of class you can find in sports today. Its moves like that, that define a champion.

Anyway I also wanted to drop you this link. Daniel sent it out to us last night, and I thought you'd find it interesting too. Its a New York Times story about the Chinese rowing team. Really great stuff, its scary the regimen they lead. Speaking of class, its also interesting to see Mike Teti blantantly call them cheaters. I wonder if he has any proof besides their startling results to back up such a negative statement...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/sports/olympics/01gold.html?em&ex=1212465600&en=bb0725a0a962f973&ei=5087%0A

Anyway, hope things are going well. I still read the blog when I get a chance. I actually just read your post today where you said you would in pgh for indoors. Oops, only saw that one 4 or 5 months late. O well, definately post if you'll be around again. I'll probably catch it this time.

Anonymous said...

O and Jay one other comment, I was telling Mike about this post and he told me that in Europe the club teams do this sort of thing all the time after a big win and its not considered unusual or unsporting. He has some friends who row in the Netherlands and they said that its not uncommon for teammates to swim things like wreaths and other celebratory stuff out to a winning boat.

Anyway just thought I'd let you know, its an interesting perspective.

Coach Jay said...

Better Steve:

And somehow the Europeans look at us like we're the barbarians.

*rolls eyes*

My parents are hosting a German exchange student this year. He's also a rower and has told me stories about fights breaking out at junior regattas over there. Take that for what it's worth, which is not much.

Anonymous said...

The broom strikes again, this time at the Harvard / Yale race:

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2008/06/15/a_sweep_for_harvards_crew/

Coach Jay said...

That broom I'm okay with; they had it in the boathouse. Nobody swam it out to their boat on the racecourse. Perhaps they taped it up sometime that night, but I think that it was also used to sweep the place up the next day.

It isn't the actual broom that pissed me off about Prep; it's the method and time of the celebration. Be classy in front of your opponents, and have a great loud time when you're behind closed doors with your boatmates.

And yes, I'm annoyed that Harvard won. I had really hoped Yale would pull it out.

Jamie Bachman said...

That's so pathetic. These people are old enough that they should know how to act after winning a sprint (or any race for that matter). I know when I was rowing at university, our coach would lecture us if we didn't tuck our medals into our shirts after winning a race -- the ribbons could show, but the medals could not. Once we got back to the boathouse/hotel/bus, then we could celebrate to our hearts' content, but not until we were away from the other teams. I expect better from this sport, and I was disappointed by the attitude shown in the photos.

PS - Your blog is awesome. There should be more crew blogs.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Coach Jay said...

A typical response, I suppose.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Coach Jay said...

Anon:
I suppose you're from Prep? Care to give a reason for your use of such fantastic wit?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Actually I attend Saint Joe's Collegiate Institute.

Coach Jay said...

Then why the 8th grade comments, boy? Why not sign your name, or actually give some sort of intelligent rebuttal to what I or others have written?

Your Boy said...

At least the Prep lost at invites.

I love talking to all of the other Philly kids and hearing them all say "FTP."