Thursday, March 23, 2006

I've fallen and I can't get up

Fallen right off the face of this blog, it seems. I think about it all the time, try and remember various lunatic things that go on and plan out a little post, but I never sit down and write anything. What a slug I am.

Anyway, if anyone ever has a need of a good Emergency Room here in Pittsburgh, go to UPMC Southside. I sliced a chunk off my left thumb on Sunday, and it was bad. I didn't really want to wait in an ER all night, but the bleeding wasn't going to stop anytime soon, so out the door I went. Rather than going to Presbyterian, where I knew I would sit forever, I went to Southside and was out in less than two hours. Hard to believe, but true. I thought it was a law that one couldn't enter an ER without killing off at least 4 to 5 hours. Now, I wouldn't want to head to Southside on a Saturday night, when all the drunk college students are being hauled in from Carson street, but on the whole, a great experience considering why I was there.

The FC kids have been on the water most of the week, and the Pitt kids indoors. The afternoons are marginal to ok for rowing, but the mornings have been simply far too cold. Add in rowing in the dark, and one would question my motives for taking them out. I do think that next week will see Pitt on the water despite any weather, as I'm seeing other high school teams out after dark. If little high school punks can hack the cold, then my lunatic college students can too.

Pitt is selling the two oldest boats in the fleet, 92 and 93 Vespoli 8s. Both are very flexible, and both need to go to clear out some space in the racks for Halve Maen the Empacher. The board is a little apprehensive about losing 16 seats that are good for training novices, but I think this is the right thing to do. If another boat is warranted, there are other options here in Pittsburgh that are better than the antiques we're losing. The size of the novice class next year will determine that decision.

So, off to Philadelphia and the Murphy Cup regatta with Pitt. I'm excited and worried at the same time. While I know they did well here last year and are better prepared this year, two weeks since the last water time really weighs on my mind. Illnesses have really done a job on the team as well. Finally, it's always a mental blow to spend time on the water after a long, hard winter then return to the dreaded ergs. Attendance hasn't been great, for that reason.

Finally, I want to mention something that really stressed me out last weekend. Coxswain selection took up a lot of time and thought for Pitt. There are only a few boats going to Dad Vails and we've got more coxswains than boats. Thus a situation that every coach dreads looms large: selection based upon your "gut" and little else. Objective measurements of coxswains isn't really possible. You have to interview the crews, with them knowing that you're trying to decided on a coxswain. Unlike everything else in the sport, this feels more like a popularity contest or play tryout than a competition for a seat in a boat. With the numbers, people who didn't deserve it got screwed. Good people. And that sucks, and it eats at me as well. For those who feel wronged, please know that I didn't go out of my way to hose you down. I made the best choices I feel were possible, and would again if given that chance. It didn't make the decision and the impact on everyone any easier.

Categories: , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the rule at ER's is that the size of your injury is inversely proportional to the amount of time you will spend at the hospital (up to a point). The hospital gods must have liked you that day, Jay. At least you don't live in Canada.