More than anything, much of the training the rower must accomplish is mental. Endurance training is very important, but being able to use that endurance in a racing situation is a mental exercise in pain control. This is a painful sport, one that pushes the human body to high limits. Being able to work at such a high level requires mental courage and high tolerance for discomfort.
One of the real problems with the sport is the type of athlete usually attracted. Rowing teams always have the higher GPAs than most teams. We're usually up there with swim teams and the golf team. Unlike those sports, where mentally the athletes must think for themselves, we discourage real thinking in rowing. That's what we have coxswains for.
Rowers must therefore find what I call the "quiet" place in their minds and be able to go there during a competition. The only thing they should be thinking about is what the coxswain is telling them to concentrate on. Championship crews never have stories of oarsmen screaming out suggestions during races, or telling the coxswain to move over. The event is hard enough; rowers don't need to try and steer a racing eight as well.
Winter training is a perfect time to practice tuning out an athlete's own thoughts. The erg doesn't need to be steered, and the scenery never moves. This is one of the reasons I like the kids listening to music during long workouts. I don't want them thinking about their social lives or what they're having for dinner. Frankly, I don't want them thinking at all.
Which is one of the reasons watching coxless boats is so fun. A few athletes trained not to think suddenly needing to steer. I just make sure I've got my repair kit handy.....
Categories: Training, Rowing, Motivational, Ergometers, Coxswains
6 comments:
Hey tosh, does this post ring a bell?? Let me give you a hint. SINGLE!!!
Yeah, but Tosh and I only flip when we want to.
Sorry, its just a fact of life, i move boats... into tree stumps.
And likes to move his humps.
his humps his humps his humps.
Check it out!
I like my quiet place. It is a land of candy, ice cream, and stevie wonder
During my last hour piece I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.
Post a Comment