Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Political Post: I'm not really that Liberal

Okay, before I inflict the latest political slop on everyone, I'm giving a shout-out to both teams. I was getting a little worried about performance this past weekend, but today really kicked ass. Both teams performed very well, but the attitude everyone showed was what really pleased me. Everyone took pride in attacking the workout; there was joking and smiles all around. Seeing that behavior in the middle of February points to relaxed crews. Relaxed crews train well and go fast.

Emily and I were having a conversation in the car this past weekend, and somehow the subject of the Middle East came up again. If the supposedly "leftist" position is to be pro-Palestinian, we're the exact opposite. I wasn't leaning one way or another until the last days of the Clinton administration, when the two sides came as close as ever to lasting peace. Israel was giving back over 90% of the occupied lands. Arafat said no, and the violence resumed.

I do believe in self-determination and various democratic ideals, but I simply will not support a people that believes blowing up families in pizza restaurants. That is not a struggle for independence, that is simply killing children. As far as I'm concerned, the Palestinians forgot a few key facts: Israel had beaten the combined Arab armies 4 times. Occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip was rather restrained considering the results of those fights. Frankly, Cairo, Amman and Damascus could be under the Star of David had the US not intervened. If Israel was going down in defeat as Hamas claims to desire, would the remaining military officers not release nuclear weapons on every Arab capital? Finally, I cannot support the cause of a people who elect the same terrorists responsible for blowing up wedding receptions.

As far as I'm concerned, Israel can go ahead and build the fence the Arab world seems so upset about. The Palestinians had an opportunity to get something in return for this fence. Now they will get nothing, which is exactly what they deserve.

Spreading democracy around the Arab world will not suddenly bring peaceful, stable states friendly to the US. What many people seem to forget is the election that brought Hitler to power was free and fair as well. People with freedom sometimes choose directions we as a nation do not like. Call me whatever you like, I simply don't believe the Arab world is ready for democratic elections, if we do not want the Mosque to take control across the region.

Categories:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent point Jay. But it seems that at the moment, democracy is the next best thing. (I think.)

Look forward to reading the responses to this jay's post

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with what you said. The Palestinians should stop complaining b/c Israel has shown so much constraint and mercy.

I am gonna hate valentines day week forever. Thanks Jay.

Anonymous said...

Jay, this is a little surprising coming from someone as liberal as I thought you were. Speaking of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, there's a funny article about that over at www.theonion.com that pretty much seems to sum up what appears to be the Palestinian point of view (at least the leaders).

Cory Shelton said...

Nice blog you havve