Sunday, December 25, 2005

I survived the Christmas marathon (and I didn't even get a lousy T-shirt)


Emily and I, like all married couples, had a negotiation before the wedding day. No, we don't have a pre-nuptial agreement, but there had to be a holiday treaty. Whose family would we spend holidays with, what years, would there be alternating years? Lots of questions had to be answered before anybody said "I do."

We decided Christmas would be with her family. There were a lot of traditions they obeserve every year and I respect that.

Presents are opened on Christmas morning, followed by a trip over to her father's parents with her aunt. This is Christmas brunch, followed by more presents. Don't forget to rush back to the house, where preparation for Christmas dinner begins immediately. Everyone in the family, both sets of grandparents along with her aunt attend dinner. That starts at four and is still going as I write this. Don't forget more presents. The last few years have seen the addition of Christmas Eve dinner at her uncle's house, with more presents along with other her aunt's parents.

Yes, I'm tired and overwhelmed. No, I wouldn't rather be home. No, I'm not the Grinch. Merry Christmas to all.

A few other little items: Yes, Will does understand Santa. He woke me up this morning at 4:30, 5:30 and 7 with the same question--"Is Santa here yet?" Yes, Will made out like a bandit at Christmas. Yes, Will has already broken three presents, one of them mine. Yes, I'm annoyed that I'm going to lose in the FFL playoffs. Yes, I'm going to take it out on anyone who makes any snide comments.

Categories: ,

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did Santa bring big boy Jay?

Anonymous said...

Last night for Hankkuah, I got a certificate for racing school.

Coach Jay said...

I got some shirts, a new rigging stick and my Mustang suit. Add in a few great books and a little chocolate and one has a great Christmas.

Aaron driving fast. On purpose. And people wonder why empires fall.....

Anonymous said...

I got to see Christmas dinner twice last night...and the second time it wasn't going down.

Anonymous said...

ralph

Anonymous said...

YAAAAK!

Anonymous said...

Barry I thought you were Jewish...?

Aaron please tell us you were kidding.

Anonymous said...

half and half biatch...yes, i celebrate christmas and hanukkah...yes there were 40 people in my house at once.

Anonymous said...

No, not at all. You have to be 18 to do it and my parents have known that I've always wanted to race.

ALSO...

A testimate to the severe intensity of our practices:

My family and I are in Florida at this tennis school. They're pretty good, I'm learning a lot, but after the 3 our instructional session, we did cals. At first I thought, s**t, I'm on vacation. I thought this because I imagined a practice. NOT AT ALL. We did a few laps then 4 wind sprints. When I mentioned how easy these are compared to the death sentences we endure down at the boat house, some kid from Texas punched me. This is just another example of how much moreintense we are then other athletes.

Anonymous said...

Jay, tell me you got the camo suit.

Anonymous said...

we've got jay, he's from kentucky.

please say you got the camo suit jay. that would be awesome.