Friday, June 01, 2007

Next Christmas?

For those who haven't hit this link on row2k, I now call attention to the Streetrower. I'm not sure how well this would do for us here in Pittsburgh (the site says they can customize some gearing), as the hills here are steep and ever-present, but this looks like a lot of fun. Apparently it's even possible to build one of these for a bloke my size!

The only information I don't see on the site is how the legs get involved in the stroke and if it's possible to lay back a little more than I see in these shots. Everyone seems to be rowing a little short in the finish for this coach's eye. But hey, everybody's a critic. It looks like a great idea and I would love to take a Henley vacation sometime to try one out. Any readers out there who've been on one?

These would give an all-new way to look at erg tests, as there is a banked bike track here in Pittsburgh, just over the Highland Park bridge, and a bike path that follows our main training areas on the Allegheny and Monongahela. Why race against the clock when you can race for real, head to head? Those miserable flooded out March weeks might be a thing of the past.....

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That Streetrower is neat indeed. But have you seen this video?

Who said Ergs don't float?

Anonymous said...

Hi

Mio Destino is running a cricket competition and I was wondering if your readers might be interested in entering?

http://www.miodestino.co.uk/boutique/page.php/competition.html

Thanks

Sophie

Coach Jay said...

Joy--

Great link. Are you in that video? Among the related videos was this one some crazy Navy guys did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XTaFFng3II&mode=related&search=

They did what every rower has dreamed of for years.

Coach Jay said...

Oops, couldn't get the link to work. Just search "ergs don't float" on Youtube. Great vid.

Unknown said...

No, I'm not in the video, just ran into it on YouTube. Funny stuff though, I thought you and your readers would like it.

Joe DeLeo said...

I agree the Streetrower is pretty cool, but I still think it be tough to steer. Speaking of videos how hilarious is this one. Let me know what you all think. I had a hand in its production.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lqk96Koh2xI

Anonymous said...

Hey I am glad you guys picked up on this. Simon Tarrant who owns streetrower was a Pembroke College Cambridge athlete (I coach there from time to time).
http://caroe.typepad.com/rebecca_caroe_rowing/2007/07/streetrower-upd.html

Good to see the pond is shrinking!