Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Yearly March Flood

Well, here it is. Every year, we get out on the water in early March or late February. I'll usually get about two weeks of good rowing in, and get excited about the progress I see my crews making. Then the heavens open up for two straight days and the river rises.

And here we go again.

Again.

Last night, just to emphasize the point, we had hail. It hasn't stopped raining since.

This just makes me crazier than I usually am. I can't stand it. After an entire winter spent feeling the air stirred by the ergs, back we go to the machine. I was doing my workout outside two days ago, and there will be snow flurries this weekend. No wonder I'm getting grey hair.

This is the third most challenging time of the season, after the early February blues and the first row blahs. Going back onto the erg after feeling the water is a nightmare scenario for any oarsman, but we deal with it every year here in Pittsburgh. I don't ever look forward to this, as morale usually slides quickly. Really, who wants to erg when you don't need a coat outside? I start warning the kids about this in January; perhaps a little expectation that it will happen will lessen the blow.

The emergence of other crews from their winter sleep only aggravates the situation, as we all end up bickering for erg time and tank space. I get snippy when asked how long we'll be on the machines by such people. I wonder "Where have you been all winter? Now you want to train? Too late for you, I'm not here to help you out!"

So I trot out some workouts I haven't used that much, just to keep the minds working a little more. I'll join the boys on the erg today and let the coxswains correct us all. I'll make a new playlist on my iPod so there isn't the usual music. And I'll fume. And brood. And stare off the deck at a river that has never cooperated with my plans. I'll tell stories of Todd and "the old days when a little flood didn't stop us" and sound like a nut case. And grit my teeth. Perhaps I'll also find some time to talk to the boats.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Hang in there coach...
We get to deal with the unpredictable wind. I rowed this afternoon, flat. The kids show up. I launch the novice in quads...for the first time and all of a sudden, wonderful Kansas wind. They learned something anyway, despite the whitecaps.
Spring is great, right?

Scott Wisniewski said...

Coach i'm writing to you about..."Hitting the bottom" I enjoyed reading it. I am a former Pitt alum living in Philadelphia and still training competitively. I am also planning on coaching after my athletic retirement so I thought I would forward you this article i read the other day. I thought it was interesting, and even if you think the ideas are crap its always nice to hear new ways of thinking about training. Anyway here is the link: http://coachesinfo.com/category/swimming/130/
Good luck this season. Go get em pitt!