Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Another tribute to coxswains

They always want to row. It could be 35 degrees and raining, but if there's an extra coxswain, they'll beg like kids in the cereal isle for an opportunity to row. I don't know why, perhaps because they are usually smaller than the athletes they command, but coxswains always want to row.

I give this little speech once a year to somebody. I don't know how else to put it. Some people are just the perfect size to be a coxswain. Yes, they could row, and be in the 3V. Or, they could make a bigger contribution to the squad and be a cox. Then I'll give examples. I seem to have a new one every year, and this past weekend gave another.

M is the FC varsity coxswain. He had a JV 4 this weekend at Scholastic sprints that was thrown together at the last minute. (There is a tradition of these things.) As seems the case every year, that 4 made the final. (Again, this always seems to happen.) They were leading the final when a volunteer launch, too eager to take up the course, waked them out, dropping them to second place. That wake didn't hit any other boat.

M protested. He talked to the refs, presented his case and agreed to their suggestion that first place be shared. The guys in his boat had already raced three times that day, and another time down the course wasn't a guaranteed win. M made the right call. The points gained by that shared 1st place got FC a tie for the boys' points trophy and assisted in the overall points win.

Coxswains: this is what you do. Provide some rational thought out on the course. Win races and trophies by using your mind. Yes, what is said to the crew is important, and steering is vital. But using the one muscle the oarsmen don't have good use of brings big results from the coxswains. When to sprint, when to move, when to lock on, when to coach and when to sweet-talk the refs are the coxwain's responsibility. Athletes really aren't good at this, because they are in lactic acid burn. The brain has a habit of shutting down in that state.

Coxswains usually gather the majority of flak from the coach at practice and plenty of grief from oarsmen as well. The fact is that coxswains can make big differences. Like the kicker on a football team, they are disrespected all year until the big moment comes. At that point, you need Adam Vinatieri, not Mike Vanderjagt.

Be heroes, coxswains. Be the best at what you are. I'll let you row over the summer.

Categories: , , , , , , ,

6 comments:

Coach Jay said...

Just because I used a picture of her, I don't want anybody to think that I'm critical in any way of the coxswain in the shot. She's damn good. I just liked the shot of a coxswain sculling in a heavy 1x.

Anonymous said...

M, I hope you read this (if not I'm sure I'll say it agian).

You have grown into a great coxswian. Intellegent, quick thinking, you command respect, and are short. I've felt for some time that I have had the most coxing skill on the FC boys squad. Not any more. We can all learn from you.(by shuting up)

Anonymous said...

Spell much, brother x?

I think something (else) this weekend showed us was just how much every individual effort counts, even in a very team-oriented sport like rowing. Two guys from FC this weekend did extraordinary things without which we would not have tied NA for the men's points trophy. They come from opposite ends of the rowing spectrum, but their actions were just as important in helping all of us share that trophy. One is M, the small, short coxswain, and the other is one of the biggest guys on our team, a varsity heavyweight who I believe now goes by the name of Beowulf.

Anonymous said...

Raise the roof for the jv 4+ regulars, (Mikey, Marcin, and me.)


p.s. I did not intend so much alliteration...

Emily said...

So I'm not the only one who gets confused and call the other guy Grendel?! :)

Anonymous said...

Dudes, I'm telling you. It's all those novice boys. They really are good at intimidating 6'4" 190+ guys that pull 6:10 2ks. Especially Danny...kids a tank.