But no matter how miserable I would feel on those days, nothing compared to the hopeless, never ending feel of the last week before a vacation, either Thanksgiving, winter or spring break. The workouts before a break are always just a little harder, as the coaching staff stuffs in as much work as possible. Monday's workout drags on and on, Tuesday brings a new definition of pain and Wednesday is unspeakable horror. Fridays would be marked by a 6k. Always.
Both of my crews face that "slog" week now, and I hope the workout schedule doesn't seem as bleak as I describe here, or this picture of the Antarctic wastes.
Like any coach, I see opportunity in such a challenge. Just getting through a week like this, surviving the workouts and defying the coach to do worse is a great exercise in mental toughness and discipline. I know that athletes at this age, college or high school, don't like the idea of more discipline, but the mental strength needed to push through this week's work is something to celebrate. Athletes who are still working, giving good efforts at the tasks put in front of them are the real foundations of any team. People working out hard this week, just before the break, can be counted on when races are on the line.
Rowing has a huge mental aspect, and like any other muscle group or skill, mental toughness must be trained as well. Just getting down to the gym on cold, snowy days like this is part of the workout. Keep it up, kids, your break will be here soon. And no, I don't plan on an erg test on Friday.
Categories: Training, Rowing, Memories, Coaching
4 comments:
So is this going to be a "don't get near an erg" break? B/c that would be a chrismukkah miracle.
We all know Jay wants us to work out over break. That's what the erg test right after break is for. I can hear the maniacal laughter from here...
When you said "I don't plan on an erg test on friday" you meant that you don't plan on an erg test the rest of the week, right?
Be at ease, no erg tests this week.
Post a Comment