Tuesday, May 17, 2005

You know I'm not really serious

I'm constantly sprinkling "death" or "row till they die" into my speeches for the guys. It's kind of a theme with how I connect with rowing. The guys all joke about it from time to time, making light over a subject that we never really think about.

This past weekend brought a touchy subject home yet again. For a coach especially, discovering one of your rowers in a critical condition is nightmare number one. The Boston College coach found himself in just that situation on Sunday.

Scott Laio, the bowman of the Varsity light 8, died after the race. Not just passed out, dead in the ground. Two seat turned around and gave CPR, and an AED was used by the paramedics on the dock.

Such an incident isn't unknown. There have been athletes who suddenly drop due to a previously undiagnosed heart condition. There isn't really a test for such a situation. Because BC is a club, not varsity, the medical oversight of the team would not be the same level the football or basketball teams enjoy.

I don't know any more than what's been on the internet. However, the information that's out there paints a questionable picture. Follow the following points:

Scott was listed on the team's website at 6'2". He was also listed at 166 pounds. He rowed lightweight, where everyone must be 155. I'm not accusing anyone, but I know rowing. Anyone on the team would be in superb physical shape. Scott was described as a workout freak as well, so we know he was prepared to race.

However. 6'2" and 155 lbs doesn't sound right. Especially if he usually weighed 166 or so. If you see pictures of him on the several articles on the net, you can see how skinny this guy was. Does anybody know now why I'm scared of lightweight?

6'2" is really tall for a light. It gives a great advantage over rowers who stand 5' 10" or so, where 155 lbs is more usual. If you're taller in crew, you'll have a longer arc through the water and go faster. Therefore, it is very tempting for guys who I call "cruiserweights" to suck down to lightweight. They're too small for the heavy team, but they're great for the lights. Until somebody has health problems getting to weight.

The last death anybody can remember in rowing was an international lightweight who died while on a "sweat run" trying to shed those last few ounces to make weight. I don't know the last collegiate heavyweight rower who died after a race.

Do I accuse? No. I have no proof or information other than what is in the public realm. However, the entire story isn't being told here. I can feel it.

This is why I will never let anyone "suck" weight for real. I know that we all got after one of the guys to make his weight class this past weekend. That was one pound. This was 11. Big, big difference. Twenty year old people don't just drop like that, even after rowing a big race. Even with a pre-existing condition, his body had been under such stress before, during training. Something changed at the race, adding another level of stress on his systems. Anybody care to guess what it might be?

This **** scares me. Once this guy has been buried, some questions need to be asked that won't bring comfortable answers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't collegiate lights 160lbs?

Anonymous said...

yes i though the same thing

Emily said...

Jay, what is the weight for collegiate lightweights, aren't Varsity 160lb and Freesh, 155lbs? Or is that just for the Fall, I can't remember.

BTW, I just was doing a search to check the anonymous question, and I found a citation: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11176143&dopt=Abstract

I don't know if everyone can get it, but it talks about the prevalence of eating disorders in lightweight women rowers. Basically, lightweights aren't more likely to have "eating disorders" like anorexia b/c it is hard to row and starve, but there are disturbing behavioral trends, like laxative misuse. Not good behaviors for heavy-duty athletes to have.

The purpose of lightweight and flyweight rowing classes was not to encourage folks to suck weight, but to create an environment where individuals historically too small to row could actually row.

Emily said...

Okay, I checked: Fall 165lb (for varsity, subtract 5 for freshman); Spring 160lbs. However, the average weight of the boat can't exceed 155 lbs.

Anonymous said...

Most likely cocaine. i think ive read stories before about these kinds of deaths and that was always at the top of the causes

Anonymous said...

There was a report that he already had a heart condition and was taking diet pills to make weight. This added to it.

Anonymous said...

He was most certainly not doing coke.

And that report was false.