Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Zen of Swing


Swing is the mythical moment in rowing. When the energy an oarsman puts into the boat seems to perfectly propel the hull forward, when the crew moves in unison and the boat slides over the water, when the output seems to generate more energy and a grueling pace seems infinitely sustainable, a boat and the rowers aboard feel "swing."

This afternoon, I hope the Pitt women's 4 found such a moment. It looked like it from the launch. Technique may not be perfect or the boat may not be absolutely set. But swing is the feeling of a crew coming together and understanding how much potential there might be. Swing is the realization that a team is not simply the sum of the erg scores or heights on paper, but something much more.

Swing is trust. Trust between the individual rowers, and between the crew and coxswain. Trust that everyone is doing their job and you only have to worry about doing your own. Trust that you can do your own and the boat will fly because of everyone.

The moment of swing is the moment seared into the memory; a moment to be relived in recollection. I can remember many such moments throughout my own career: a late-fall row after dark in Connecticut, a Norwich row that developed a rhythm that could be sustained long after the 7 miles were gone, a straight pair row over glass-smooth water, the first time I was in a boat that set perfectly.

As a fat, retired oarsman, I won't feel swing again. But as a coach, one of my callings is to help create as many such moments as I can, because such moments stay with rowers forever.

Categories: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AH, I love swing. It makes me wake-up in the morn